Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Pleased to Death

Great among the lessons of the Eastertide was the cost of pleasing others.

I have always known I had an unhealthy crave to please others. So far, its consequences had been relatively mild - a forgotten appointment, overlapping appointments, misplaced words, and so on.

This time I almost blew the car - literally. Driving at night, I remembered all the tips n tales of night driving - "Do not drive slowly as you may be car-jacked!", "Beware of speed bumps, they are car-jackers' favourite spots." were top on the list. So i raved the car, ... at each bump, hurriedly changing the gears to my favourite gear 4. Why? To show my dad I can drive at night.

But lo and behold. The temperature gauge nearly clocked the max. temperature, not once, ... but severally. Now I dont need to tell you how dangerous that is.

To make matters worse, I KNEW I shouldn't rave the engine, and I KNEW I was uncomfortable doing so.

T'is then (or rather soon after) that I realized that the first person I should convince is me, then whomsoever else shall learn thereafter. So the resolution: Dont please anyone for the sake of it - it could do more harm than good. Like a good painting, with just the right strokes of the brush, so let be life, ... do what you can to make it as perfect as your touch (or lack thereof) can.

Be Well.

No comments: